Easter means hot cross buns which we LOVE, but let’s face it, “your hips don’t lie”. So the Life Story Design girls have been busy trialing healthy hot cross bun recipes and this one is our fave.
Healthy Hot Cross Buns recipeFiona O'Callaghan bodyandsoul.com.au
- 1 cup almond meal
- ½ cup coconut flour
- ½ cup arrowroot
- ½ cup coarsely grated green apple
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- 4 eggs, at room temperature, lightly whisked
- ¼ cup rice syrup
- 150 g butter, melted and cooled, plus extra to serve
- 2 tablespoons coconut cream
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil, melted
- 2 teaspoons coconut flour
Preheat your oven to 180°C and line a large baking tray with baking paper.
To make the buns, put all the ingredients together in a large bowl and mix well to combine.
Stand for 10 minutes or until the mixture is firm. Shape the mixture into 12 rounds and put them on the tray 2 cm apart.
Bake the buns for 20 minutes, or until golden. When they’re cooked, a skewer inserted in the centre should come out clean.
Let the buns cool on the tray for 5 minutes.
To make the crosses, put all the ingredients together in a bowl and whisk until smooth, then spoon the mixture into a small zip-lock bag.
Snip off one small corner of the bag, then pipe crosses on top of the buns. Chill until set. Serve warm, with extra butter.
This is an edited extract from Clean Living: Eat Clean All Year by Luke Hines and Scott Gooding ($29.99), published by Hachette Australia.